December 14, 2000
16.7 Million Pounds of Ready-To-Eat Poultry Products Recalled
Waco, TX (SafetyAlerts) - Cargill Turkey Products
has announced it is recalling approximately 16.7 million pounds of ready-to-eat turkey and
chicken products produced at its Waco, Texas facility, the product may be
contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The products were produced from May 1 to
December 11 and distributed nationwide through grocery stores, restaurants and
institutions - and to Venezuela and Iceland. The affected product is marked with the
establishment number "P-635".
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) and the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) of the U.S. Department of
Agriculture (USDA) are studying whether some products from the Waco facility might contain
Listeria monocytogenes associated with 25 cases of listeriosis, most of which have
occurred since July 2000.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism which can
cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people,
pregnant women and individuals with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals
may suffer short-term symptoms such as fever, headaches, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain
and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant
Retail Sliced Packages: In 10 to12-ounce
- Owens's Hickory Smoked Pre-Sliced Turkey Breast,
- Fiesta Pre-Sliced Turkey Breast, fresh
- Mesquite Smoked Pre-Sliced Turkey Breast, fresh and
- Pre-Sliced Smoke banquet-style Turkey Breast, fresh
- Black Forest Turkey Ham, fresh
- Pre-Sliced Turkey Pastrami, fresh and frozen
- Pre-Sliced Star Turkey Breast
- Pre-Sliced Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast, fresh and
- Pre-Sliced Oven prepared Turkey Breast, frozen
- Honeysuckle White Pre-Sliced Oven Prepared Turkey,
fresh and frozen
Un-sliced Products: For slicing or consumer
- Dine Rite Picnic Dark Turkey, fresh and frozen
- Old South Turkey Ham, fresh
- Plantation Cajun Fried Turkey, frozen
- Honeysuckle White Cajun-Style Fried Whole Turkey,
Wholesale: Products sold in bulk and sliced
at delicatessens, restaurants, and institutions
- Boar's Head:
- Our Premium Low Salt Turkey, frozen
- Golden Catering Skin-on Turkey Breast, fresh
- Carmel Colored Our Premium Turkey Breast, fresh
- Our Premium Low Salt Skinless Turkey Breast, fresh
- Smoked Turkey Breast, fresh
- Oil Browned Chicken Breast, fresh
- Oven Prepared Skinless Turkey Breast, fresh
- Smoked Chicken Breast, fresh
- Other products were sold in bulk and would not be
labeled at the point of purchase.
The Waco facility sold other products in bulk and
that were sliced at delicatessens and restaurants and would not be readily identifiable by
consumers. Cargill Turkey Products has contacted establishments who purchased those
products, which are being removed and returned.
Consumers with questions about the recall may call
Cargill Turkey Products at 888-621-2717 or visit the website www.plantation-foods.com.
Cargill Turkey Products is based in Springdale, Ark., and is part of Minneapolis-based
Notice of this product warning was sent via email
to SafetyAlerts subscribers December
14, 2000. For more information regarding the SafetyAlerts free email alert service
please click here.
Safety Alerts compiles comprehensive safety recall information for
the United States. SafetyAlerts Newsletter is a free
email service to warn consumers of faulty products and contaminated foods. For complete
information regarding current recalls, past recalls and timely product warning
notification visit: www.safetyalerts.com.