June 25, 2003
African Market Has Recalled Fish
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said that AFRICAN MARKET, 48A BRONX
TERMINAL MARKET, has recalled 200 BOXES of uneviscerated fish. BROCHETTE was
discovered by New York Slate Department of Agriculture and Markets Food
Inspectors during a routine inspection of a market in Staten Island. Samples
analyzed confirmed that the fish had not been eviscerated prior to
This product may be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum spores, which
can cause Botulism, a serious and potentially fatal food-home illness.
The sale of this type of fish is prohibited under New York State Agriculture
and Markets regulations because Clostridium botulinum spores are more likely
to be concentrated in the viscera than any other portion of the fish.
Uneviscerated fish has been linked to outbreaks of botulism poisoning.
Symptoms of botulism include blurred or double vision, general weakness,
poor reflexes, difficulty swallowing and respiratory paralysis.
BROCHETTE was sold individually and in 30-pound boxes. The product is
uncoded. The recalled product was sold cash and carry at African Market, 48A
Bronx Terminal Market, Bronx, NY 10451.
No illnesses have been reported to date.
Consumers who have BROCHETTE are advised not to eat it, but should return it
to the place of purchase. Consumers with questions should contact John Okoro
at 1-718-665 6524.