January 10, 2000Royal Baltic, Ltd Expands Recall
of Various Smoked Fish Products
Brooklyn, NY (SafetyAlerts) - Royal Baltic, Ltd. is
expanding its December 23, 1999, recall of various smoked fish products because they have
the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism that can cause
serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and
others with weakened immune systems.
Although healthy individuals may
suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headaches, stiffness, nausea,
abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths
among pregnant women.
The recall has been expanded to cover the
following products and lots:
- Assorted Plate in 8 oz. and 16 oz. packages
containing Siomga, Captain (Sea Bass), and Trout: Codes 411 though 912, distributed from
11/4/99 through 12/9/99.
- Smoked Captain (Sea Bass) in 0.5 lb. packages:
Codes 410 through 2211, distributed from 10/4/99 through 11/22/99.
- Smoked Royal Trout in 3 oz. and 8 oz. packages:
Codes 511 through 1211 distributed from 11/5/99 through 11/12/99.
- Smoked Turbot in 0.5 lb. packages: Codes 1611
through 2911, distributed from 11/16/99 through 11/29/99.
- Smoked Turbot in bulk form with Code 1511
distributed from 11/17/99 through 12/9/99.
- Imperial European Style Smoked Salmon in 3 oz. and
8 oz. packages : Lots 911 through 2211, distributed from 11/9/99 through 11/22/99.
- Lake trout in 0.5 lb. packages: Codes 226 through
267, distributed from 6/22/99 through 7/26/99.
- Lake trout in bulk form: Code 226, distributed from
6/24/99 through 7/2/99
- Lake trout in variety pack 0.5 lb. and 1 lb. sizes:
Codes 97 through 157 distributed from 7/9/99 through 7/15/99.
- Smoked Captain (Sea Bass) bulk pack, Lot #1111
distributed on 11/11/99.
- Lake Trout bulk pack, Lot #2710, distributed on
- Smoked Siomga, Lot 2710, distributed from 10/27/99
These products were distributed nationwide through
The source of the Listeria contamination found in
some lots of Royal Baltic's smoked fish has not yet been identified. The FDA is continuing
to investigate this matter.
Consumers who have purchased any of the above
products should not eat them, but instead return them to place of purchase for a full
refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 718-385-8300.
Safety Alerts compiles
comprehensive safety recall information for the United States. SafeMail is a free email
service to warn consumers of faulty products and contaminated foods. For complete
information regarding current recalls, past recalls and timely product warning
notification visit: www.safetyalerts.com.