January 25, 2002
SafetyAlerts Registrant Warning:
- SafetyAlerts has received a Safety Warning from one
of our registrants who feels we should remind all of our registrants
about this issue.
"We had an extremely dangerous
situation as a family over the weekend and I would like to make you aware of
the circumstances. When my wife made chili over the weekend in our crockpot,
she went to move the crockpot of boiling chili to another part of the
countertop to serve. The plastic handle on the crockpot broke, showering the
kitchen with boiling chili. It was extremely lucky that she wasn't severely
burned. When I looked at the crockpot, I was amazed to see that the handle
attachment (the portion that broke) was plastic and obviously wasn't
designed or manufactured to withstand the heat. This crockpot has not been
used much and has always been handled with care. Other than the heat, I can
see not reason for it failing.
I feel consumers should be warned
of this danger. Thank goodness our grandson was not sitting in his highchair
on the other side of the counter. We are diligent grandparents and would not
have had him near hot food, however, when the handle failed, there was no
controlling where the food was going to spray when it showered the kitchen
and the dinning room on the other side of the countertop. "
Dr. F.O .
eds. SafetyAlerts recognizes
the severity of burns that can be caused by this type of a handle failure
and urges all of our registrants to inspect their personal appliances.