March 14, 2001Mercury in Fish & Pregnancy
DC (SafetyAlerts) - Seafood can be
an important part of a balanced diet for pregnant women. It is a good source of high
quality protein and other nutrients and is low in fat.
However, some fish contain high levels of a form of mercury called methylmercury that can
harm an unborn childs developing nervous system if eaten regularly. By being
informed about methylmercury and knowing the kinds of fish that are safe to eat, you can
prevent any harm to your unborn child and still enjoy the health benefits of eating
HOW DOES MERCURY GET INTO
Mercury occurs naturally in the environment and it can also be released into the
air through industrial pollution. Mercury falls from the air and can get into surface
water, accumulating in streams and oceans. Bacteria in the water cause chemical changes
that transform mercury into methylmercury that can be toxic. Fish absorb methylmercury
from water as they feed on aquatic organisms.
HOW CAN I AVOID LEVELS OF
MERCURY THAT COULD HARM MY UNBORN CHILD?
Nearly all fish contain trace amounts of methylmercury, which are not harmful to
humans. However, long-lived, larger fish that feed on other fish accumulate the highest
levels of methylmercury and pose the greatest risk to people who eat them regularly. You
can protect your unborn child by not eating these large fish that can contain high levels
While it is true that the primary danger from methylmercury in fish is to the developing
nervous system of the unborn child, it is prudent for nursing mothers and young children
not to eat these fish as well.
IS IT ALL RIGHT TO EAT OTHER
Yes. As long as you select a variety of other kinds of fish while you are pregnant or may
become pregnant, you can safely enjoy eating them as part of a healthful diet. You can
safely eat 12 ounces per week of cooked fish . A typical serving size of fish is from 3 to
6 ounces. Of course, if your serving sizes are smaller, you can eat fish more frequently.
You can choose shellfish, canned fish, smaller ocean fish or farm-raised fish just
pick a variety of different species.
WHAT IF I EAT MORE THAN 12
OUNCES OF FISH A WEEK?
There is no harm in eating more than 12 ounces of fish in one week as long as you
dont do it on a regular basis. One weeks consumption does not change the level
of methylmercury in the body much at all. If you eat a lot of fish one week, you can cut
back the next week or two and be just fine. Just make sure you average 12 ounces of fish a
Some kinds of fish are known to have much lower than average levels of methylmercury and
can be safely eaten more frequently and in larger amounts. Contact your federal, state, or
local health department or other appropriate food safety authority for specific
consumption recommendations about fish caught or sold in your local area.
WHAT ABOUT THE FISH CAUGHT BY
MY FAMILY OR FRIENDS IN FRESH WATER LAKES AND STREAMS? ARE THEY SAFE TO EAT?
There can be a risk of contamination from mercury in fresh waters from either
natural or industrial causes that would make the fish unsafe for you or your family to
eat. The Environmental Protection Agency provides current advice on fish consumption from
fresh water lakes and streams. Also check with your state or local health department to
see if there are special advisories on fish caught from waters in your local area.
For information about the risks of
Mercury in Seafood call toll-free 1 (888) SAFEFOOD, the U. S. Food and Drug Administration
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition Food Information Line 24 hours a day
FDA's Food Safety Website www.cfsan.fda.gov.