November 16, 2000ConAgra Foods Recalls Certain
Meal, Flour, Grits and Cereal Products
NE (SafetyAlerts) - The Food and
Drug Administration (FDA) said today that ConAgra Foods is recalling certain meal, flour,
grits and cereal products because the products appear to contain the genetic material
(DNA) necessary for the production in corn (trade name: StarLink) of the pesticide Cry9C
protein derived from Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies tolworthi. The pesticide is not
allowed for use in foods for human consumption.
This is the first public notice of
this Class II
issued by FDA.
a) Cornmeal; b) Corn Flour; c) Snack Meal; d) Flaking Grits; e) Polenta
Grits; f) Pregel/Cereal Binder.
a) Cornmeal under the following labels:
(1) Cahokia Pride Yellow Corn Meal, packaged in 25-lb. bags coded 09/29/00, labeled as
Manufactured for Cahokia Flour Company, St. Louis, MO
(2) Dixianna Enriched Yellow Cornmeal, packaged in 25 lb. bags coded 09/29/00, labeled as
Distributed by ConAgra, Inc., Omaha, NE
(3) ConAgra Corn Meal 116C, 100-lb. bags coded 10/03/00, labeled as Manufactured by
ConAgra Grain Processing Company, Omaha, NE
(4) USA Cornmeal Yellow Enriched, Degermed, packaged in 25-kg. bags coded Lot 910,
labeled Contract No. VEPD02706 (contract number on bag was incorrect and should have read
(5) Sysco Classic Yellow Corn Meal, packaged in plain brown 25-lb. bags coded 09/29/00, no
responsible firm on the bag
b) Corn Flour under the following labels
(1) ConAgra Corn Flour 110, packaged in 50-lb. and 100-
lb. bags coded 09/29/00, labeled as Manufactured By ConAgra Grain Processing Company,
(2) Bulk corn flour, unlabeled
c) Snack Meal under the following labels:
(1) ConAgra Snack Meal 128 Enr, packaged in 50-lb.
bags coded 09/30/00, labeled as Manufactured by ConAgra Grain Processing Company, Omaha,
(2) ConAgra Snack Meal 128, packaged in 50-lb. bags coded 09/30/00, labeled as
Manufactured by ConAgra Grain Processing Co., Omaha, NE
d) Flaking Grits under the following label:
(1) Bulk Flaking Grits, product #4
e) Polenta Grits under the following label:
(1) Alberto A-1 Coarse Cornmeal Polenta Grits 95B,
packaged in 50-lb. bags coded 09/29/00 and 10/01/00,
responsible firm on the label is Trujillo & Sons Inc., Miami, FL
f) Pregel/Cereal Binder under the following label:
(1) Bulk Pregel/cereal binder, product #201.
ConAgra Corn Processing, Atchison, Kansas.
ConAgra Foods, Omaha, Nebraska/ConAgra Corn Processing, Atchison, Kansas, by telephone
and/or letter beginning on October 4, 2000. Firm-initiated recall ongoing.
Missouri, Texas, Pennsylvania, Utah, Iowa, Tennessee, Michigan, Louisiana, Arkansas,
a) Cornmeal - 2,198.54 cwt (hundred weight);
b) Corn Flour - 4,167.80 cwt;
c) Snack Meal - 1,062.50 cwt;
Grits - 4,355 cwt;
e) Polenta Grits - 1,350 cwt;
f) Pregel/Cereal Binder - 1,371 cwt.
Questions concerning this recall may be directed
to the FDA at 1-888-INFO-FDA.
Safety Alerts compiles
comprehensive safety recall information for the United States. SafeMail is a free email
service to warn consumers of faulty products and contaminated foods. For complete
information regarding current recalls, past recalls and timely product warning
notification visit: www.safetyalerts.com.