Safety Alerts Saves Lives
Safety Alerts  
Home Privacy About Us Contact Us Change Preferences
spacer.gif (43 bytes)
November 12, 1997

Release # 98-025
CPSC: Nicolette Humphries
(301) 504-0580 Ext. 1185

CPSC, Sachs Bicycle Components Announce Recall of Bicycles

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Sachs Bicycle Components of Anaheim, Calif., is recalling about 16,500 Diamondback mountain bikes to replace their chains. The chain can break, causing a rider to lose control of the bicycle, fall and be injured.

CPSC, Sachs Bicycle Components and Diamondback have received about 75 reports of chains breaking, resulting in 4 injuries, including a broken arm, cuts and bruises.

Only 1998 model Diamondback bicycles with the following model names could be equipped with these chains: Sherwood, Lakeside, Interval, Expert, Voyager I, Voyager II, Sorrento, Sorrento SE and Wildwood DX. If consumers own one of these bicycles, purchased between July 1, 1997, and November 8, 1997, they should have the chain checked.

Diamondback Authorized Dealers nationwide sold these bicycles from July 1997 to November 1997 for about $300 to $600.

Consumers should stop using these bicycles immediately and call their local Diamondback bicycle dealer to arrange to have the chain replaced. For the location of the nearest dealer, consumers should call Diamondback's National Warranty Department at (800) 776-7641. For additional information about this recall, call Sachs Recall Hotline at (800) 343-8586.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission protects the public from the unreasonable risk of injury or death from 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury and for information on CPSC's fax-on-demand service, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270. To order a press release through fax-on-demand, call (301) 504-0051 from the handset of your fax machine and enter the release number. Consumers can report product hazards to